Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Out of the Mouth of 6 and 96 Year Olds!

When I left my house this morning I had NO idea what was in store for me. I got to school to find out that we couldn't go on our field trip to the Seville, an old folks home because of the snow. Then the principal called us down to tell us that the girl we wanted to hire wasn't working out and we had to interview 2 more ladies during school today. When my kids got there at 8 am they were walking in and one little girl noticed that she had matching boots as a little boy in our class. She got so excited and said ...
Now we can get married when we're older because we are have twinner boots!
She was dead serious. I couldn't help but laugh at that. If only it were that easy. Wear matching boots and there is your soul mate! haha
We helped another teacher move classrooms, 6 year olds LOVE to help. Then they watched Mickey's Christmas Carol while the teachers interviewed for the new spot. (We did find someone who will start Jan 5th and my class will be down to 21! Heaven!) By some miracle, I called the District and they said that they could send a bus last minute to take us to the Seville. So we jumped on and headed over. At the Seville there were about 20 cute people that came to watch. They were so funny! They kept shouting out things between songs. "That was just delightful!" "I know that song". "They are so beautiful". My favorite was when I went over to lead my kids in their group speaking part. I knelt down in front of them and said one, two, ... then I felt a tap on my shoulder. In a voice loud enough for everyone to hear, this cute little old lady says "Tell them they sing like angels." It was so adorable and so funny at the same time! When we finished some of them came up to talk to us. "That was so d*@! good!" "That sounded better than any Disney movie I ever saw." "Those kids were perfect."
To end the day we had our Christmas Party. Six parents came in to run the stations. Everything was going great, all the kids were having a great time when all of the sudden someone yells "There is pooh on the carpet!" I walked over calmly thinking it was animal pooh from someone's shoe but after consulting with a mom helper we decided it was human poop! ONE OF MY STUDENTS POOHED ON MY NEW CARPET!!! And of course once someone said something about it, all the rest of my class had to run over to have a look! We found the culprit who just didn't want to miss out on any of the fun and the janitor cleaned it up because that is SO not in my contract! After the janitor left, I Lysol sprayed down my rug and clorox wiped just about everything in my room!
Welcome to my life as a first grade teacher!

4 comments:

Jessica Newman said...

Oh my goodness! You should write a book and then live off the royalties.

R.A.A.H. said...

Oh, I'm missing out on so much fun. I had a kid pooh on my floor right after we finished a lockdown drill. I guess the drill scared the pooh right out of them. I couldn't find the culprit even though Pasty and I walked around sniffing everyone. I also couldn't find a janitor. Of course they all went home and I had to clean it up myself. I almost threw up. I'm glad that you found a new teacher, it will be so nice to only have 21 kids.

Heidi said...

Gotta love the first grade quotes! I have a little notebook devoted to them, because really, they keep me sane on those days when I think, "Seriously, who signed me up for this?!" But, usually, it is FABULOUS! Anyway, thanks and I got my dress at DownEast! Sarah and I have twinner dresses! So cute! :)

Michelle said...

Hey Caren!! I found your blog. That story is so cute...I'm sad I missed it. I do want to point out, though, that I am mentioned in your blog, not by name, but by position. Thank you for my 15 minutes of fame.