Teaching first grade definitely has it's times of comic relief. As a first grade team we always joke that if we only had a video camera rolling during the day we would win the $100,000 grand prize on America's Funniest Home Videos. Just today my first graders came inside from afternoon recess. The weather is finally starting to look like Spring (thank goodness) when Tate walks in saying, "I think I have sweaty in my elbows, I think I have sweaty in my elbows." I looked over to see him fanning under his arms. I said "Tate, where are your elbows?" He looked at me for a few minutes then got a little grin on his face... "Oops, well I do have sweaty right here." Ha ha. The one that takes the cake for this months was Caeden. We were reviewing a grammar lesson on capitalization of names when some of my kids wanted to capitalize dad. I told them that we didn't know who's dad they were talking about, it could be Kamryn's dad or Caeden's dad so it didn't need to be capitalized. Recess was right after this lesson when Caeden walked over and said "Mrs. Robison I don't have a dad (which I knew he did because I have seen him many times). My dad's an alien." I clarified and he would not back down. His dad was an alien. Later it came up again when he wrote about it during writing time and I asked some more questions. Apparently his dad works in the jungle chasing dangerous animals. When he's not in the jungle he wears his person suit. Caeden has never seen his dad without his person suit his dad just told him he was an alien. Sometimes his dad will go back to the spaceship! His mom though is not an alien which makes Caeden a half alien and his twin brother would vouch for him. It was all I could do to keep a strait face as I tried to remember every word. Aren't kids so funny!
No comments:
Post a Comment